6/2/12

Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde is one and only my favorite writer. I really like his writing style.
These are my favorite quotes from him.


"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"

"Action is the last resource of those who know not how to dream"

"Ambition is the germ from which all growth of nobleness proceeds"

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative"

"Cynic: a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"
I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best"

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance"

"I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being"

"It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But... it is better to be good than to be ugly"

"
Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one"

"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason"

"
Memory is the diary that we all carry about with us"

"My great mistake, the fault for which I can’t forgive myself, is that one day I ceased my obstinate pursuit of my own individuality"

"Our ambition should be to rule ourselves, the true kingdom for each one of us; and true progress is to know more, and be more, and to do more"

"There is no sin except stupidity"

"Why was I born with such contemporaries?"

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures"

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live"

"The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated"

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Les Cheveux said...

You forgot this one, dear Devi "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth"

Good to see you back with your trademark style :-)

About Me

My photo
We yearn for some explosive, extraordinary escape from the inescapable and, none forthcoming, we put our faith in an apocalyptic rupture whereby the inevitable is solved by the unbelievable grasshoppers, plagues, composite monsters, angels, blood in industrial quantities, and, in the end, salvation from sin and evil--meaning anxiety, travail, and pain. By defining human suffering in cosmic terms, as part of a cosmic order that contains an issue, catastrophe is dignified, endowed with meaning, and hence made bearable.